Příspěvek čtv 15. čer 2017 4:26:55

Central Jersey diners try to stand out in crowded field

3 Central Jersey diners try to stand out in crowded field

Reality shows proliferate on television, but none have been set in a diner, as far as I know.

Hollywood might want to stop by Michael's Family Restaurant in Lawrenceville and screen test Hana Makhoul.

"I'm the boss, the big boss,'' the co owner of the Route 1 diner said cheerily. "You should have come yesterday, when we had cream of potato soup. I make the best cream of potato soup. Nobody beats my cream of potato.''

You want to argue with this woman, go right ahead. It took me a while to realize this was once the Howard Johnson's I would visit as kid growing up in Trenton. The clam strips! The hotel is still next door, but the HoJos, later a Bob's Big Boy, is now a shiny modern diner with "the best soups in nfl jerseys cheap New Jersey,'' according to Makhoul.

Her sons Danny and Rani help run the diner; Rani is the cheap nfl authentic jerseys baker. I'm sampling four dishes and one dessert at each diner in my month long mission. Here I tried the Mediterranean omelet, beef stew, chicken parm and the Reuben, plus the baklava.

What I liked best: the omelet, with feta and kalamata olives.

TIME TO EAT DINER, BRIDGEWATER

This spacious diner, once known as the Bridgewater Diner (now located on Route 22), is on the Somerville Circle, the scene , seven years ago, of one of my greatest cheap authentic jerseys accomplishments, if you could call it that.

I drove 55 times around the circle without stopping; I'm pretty sure that's a world record.

No need for such histrionics this time; it was time to eat, indeed. A diner has been on this site for some 50 years. The owners are two brothers, Jimmy and Aster Katsantonis.

I asked hostess Amanda Wells what to order, and she immediately suggested the Polish sampler, with grilled kielbasa, sauerkraut, pierogies and stuffed cabbage. There's an entire menu nfl jerseys wholesale page devoted to Polish delicacies, including kotlety schabowe Polish pork chops.

Also tried the roast chicken, steak and eggs, and salmon over spinach, and the double chocolate fudge cake for dessert.

What I liked best: The Polish sampler, especially that kielbasa.

The barrel roofed diner you don't see many of those around has been run by the Kontos family since 1989. A diner has existed here since 1938; in the 1960s, it was known as the Midtown Diner.

The Main Street eatery is now run by three brothers and their wives Peter and Diane Kontos, Tony and Kristina Kontos, and George and Eve Kontos. Tony started working here as a dishwasher when he was 15.

"I'd come here every day if I could,'' said regular Sharon Rogozinsky, sitting in the booth behind us. "This diner is small and quaint, more personal. Everybody knows everybody.''